Tuesday, May 27, 2025

The Captive Audience Effect: Celebrities Suck At Politics

When Celebrities Attack (Your Sanity): A Night at the Concert That Turned Into a TED Talk

By Mike Walk


Let me begin by saying that I am a simple person. I do not ask much from life. I pay my taxes, I pick up after my dog (unless it’s raining), and I believe concerts should contain music.


And yet, there I was last Saturday night, $187.50 lighter (plus $14.75 for a water bottle the size of a deodorant stick), seated at a concert I had waited months to attend. The lights dimmed. The crowd roared. The guitar rang out. And then… the singer stopped everything, sat down, and launched into a 13-minute monologue on the socio-political consequences of immigration.


Nothing quite says “rock and roll” like an angry millionaire yelling at you about immigration policy.


This, dear reader, is the new reality: celebrities—especially musicians, who already get paid absurd sums to play instruments they learned in high school while not wearing shirts—have decided they are also political savants. Apparently, being really good at strumming a Stratocaster automatically qualifies you to explain the nuances of international trade policy.


Let me clarify: I don’t care if a celebrity has opinions. Have opinions! We all do! I might believe squirrels are spying on me and that gas station sushi should be illegal. But that doesn’t mean I should force these beliefs onto a captive arena full of 15,000 people who came to hear “Born To Run,” not “A Brief Lesson About the Erosion of Progressive Rights Under Trump.”


But this trend is growing. Some performers even pause between songs and practically open PowerPoint presentations and present the evils of capitalism—while charging $400 for a t-shirt that looks like it was made in someone’s basement. The irony is so thick you could serve it with mashed potatoes.


And it’s always one-sided. There’s no balance, no nuance. Just a lot of haranguing and finger-pointing. And if you happen to disagree, well, suddenly you’re a “problem.” You just wanted to hear “Dancing in the Dark,” but now you’re a fascist.


Can you imagine this happening in other professions? Picture your dentist pausing mid-root canal to rant about climate change. Or your barista slamming your oat milk latte on the counter and announcing that if you don’t vote the way they do, you’re personally responsible for the fall of democracy (this might actually happen at a Starbucks so beware). These people would be institutionalized. But when a celebrity does it, it’s “brave.”


Look, I get it. Fame warps the brain. When you’re surrounded by sycophantic “yes-men” who clap every time you successfully zip up your pants, you start to believe you are a Very Important Thinker. But let me offer a gentle reminder: most celebrities live in gated mansions, wear scarves that cost more than a Kia, have car collections, and haven’t personally gone for groceries in decades. They are about as in touch with reality as a housecat piloting a Cessna.


Meanwhile, the rest of us came to the concert to forget about our stressful, soul-crushing lives: our jobs, our bills, our neighbors who mow the lawn at 6 a.m. with a mower that sounds like a Soviet tank. We came for an escape. Instead, we got a lecture. With drums.


In conclusion, celebrities: we love you for your music, your movies, your ability to age backward through questionable surgeries. But when it comes to politics, maybe just stick to the thing we pay you for. You don’t see me showing up at your Malibu mansion to read aloud from Reader’s Digest about my opinions on tax brackets. (Although, if I did, I would charge much less than $400 a seat.)


Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go rehydrate after being yelled at by someone who once lost a Grammy to Adele and thinks the Constitution is under attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment